Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reflection 1

Hye everyone ! Here my Reflection 1 ! Enjoy reading. ;) 

            If I am a teacher, I will practice behavioral school of thought for mathematics subject to my students. First of all, I will explain what is behavioral. Behavioral is about imitate the teacher steps and students need to follow the instruction to avoid doing any mistakes. Students get instruction and they will follow them to complete their task. For example in mathematics, there’s a topic that learning about circles. I will give an introduction which is let them know what they are going to learn and discover in this topic. Next, I will come out with one example question including the formula I will explain one by one, shows the calculation step by step on how to solve the question. Students should copy my steps and follow the exact instruction that I’ve given. As a teacher, I will be a role model for my students and they will follow everything that has been given in lecture or demonstration. Especially in maths, there will be so many formulas and calculation steps that students should memorize to solve the questions. This is why I will use behaviorism which I will give full instruction to the students and they will follow my instructions without missed any steps in order to get the correct answer same as their teacher. In other way reward and punishment also part of behaviorism. Students will be rewarded or punishment in term of what they have done for example whether they complete their homework, answer wrong in their homework or complete homework and answer correctly. A teacher will give reward to increase students desirable in the class for example by smiling at students after a correct response or maybe give extra marks to those who active in class. Meanwhile punishment is effective in quickly eliminating undesirable behavior. For example students who submit homework late will not be given any marks or teacher will add more exercise special for them to complete it. Students will either change their behavior or they will get more exercise every week. I will definitely not give any marks to those who submit late because I believe I want to teach them to be punctual and learn from mistake. 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Umi Athifah. I have already gone through your Reflection 1. You have mentioned that behavioral is most suitable for you to be practiced especially in Mathematics subject. It is true that Mathematics subject should be taught by using the mastery learning concept. In this 21st century, the subject syllabus are getting more difficult and always comes out with the HOTS question. Students nowadays are being given a lot of problem-based question and study cases (application) about the Maths questions. In your opinion, how behavioral school of thought can helps students in order to solve this kind of question. And why cognitive school of thought are not suitable than behavioral for you to be teach in Mathematics subject?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adli. Thank you. I agree with you that in this 21 st century, the subject more on HOTS. I believe i want to practice behavioural as my teaching method as mathematics should be more on direct instruction. Cognitive school of thought is suitable for mathematics as well but I guess it is better we use cognitive for other subject such as history, english and economic. For mathematics, we should give students the correct formulas and show them step by step to complete the questions. I might be use cognitive school as well but just in terms of give them chance to do the question by their own. To give complicated critical thinking question for mathematics, i dont think it is a good idea as students will wasting time to understand the question even actually the question is easy as they know the formulas.
      Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Umi for replying my comments. Actually, it's depend on teachers either they want to use cognitive or behavioral school of thought for their teaching method in order for students to understand what they have learnt. Maybe, I should use both school of thought so that it'll be more effective. I guess so. Thank you, Umi.

      Delete
  2. hai umi, i already read through about your entry. so i know that you want to use behavioral school of thought. it is great because in mathematics usually we need to follow the teacher step. do you think you can apply humanistic in your teaching and learning process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madi. Thank you. Oh yes. We can apply humanistic approach in teaching and learning process for mathematics subject. Where we as a teacher, we should understand some students who have low proficient skill in calculation. We should give them chance to understand and give them time to calculate the question. Some students might have ability to calculate fast, but some of them might have to remember how to calculate and keep looking at the formulas. I believe when we apply humanistic approach, these students will be motivated and try to complete the questions even they quite a little bit slow. Practice make perfect right? So i will give them homework to ensure they understand it better.

      Delete