Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reflection 2

First of all, pedagogy is the principles and methods of instruction which is a way of doing something especially in a systematic way. It is also the activities of educating or instructing that impart knowledge or skills. 
Three types of teaching methods that can be practice in form four class. First is direct instruction. Teacher as the role model who give instruction through lecture or demonstration. Students will follow the instruction and the learning process will be effective, organizing and sequencing lessons to strengthen understanding. For example in mathematics, form four students have experienced in maths before during they were in form 1 until form 3. I believe they understand well how maths is in process, there’s step by step in calculation. They will be exposed to new topics and more challenging type of calculation that need them to reinforcement their skills. I will modelling the process and ensure that students will follow exactly from it. In this method, every instruction is fixed and students cannot change or add on other steps to get the correct answer. This only will lead them do mistake and missed the correct way to solve the questions.

            Second is homework and practice. Homework is usually major thing that teacher should give to their students to enhance their skills and to measure their understanding in that topic. Students will practice to get the right answer and follow the exact steps that has been given by teacher. Homework actually teach students about time management and provides opportunities for practice. After finish explain the topic about circles and shows the calculations, I will give exercise or homework to my students and set the exact date for them to submit. I want my students complete their homework because this is the method for them to reinforcement their skills and master on that certain topic. I also will check their homework and give correction if they do any mistake. I would love to see my students follow the exact steps that I gave without missed any steps in order to get the correct answer as mine.

            Third is reinforcing effort. A teacher can influence students by helping them in a correct way. In this strategy teacher can allow students to be evaluated in the format reward and punishment. For example, I gave them homework and they complete the homework at the right time, I will add marks on that effort. I didn’t look at their answers yet but I reward them because they follow my instruction. If some of them cannot complete the task, I will ask them the reason and if it unacceptable, I will give only half marks to them. From this situation, students will be motivated to complete their homework and never give an excuse for not completing it. I use reward and punishment to reinforce students’ behavior in a positive way. After that, I will look at their homework whether they answer it in a correct way or not. If they answer correctly, I will give extra marks. To those who not answer correctly, I will definitely give an extra class for them by maybe I will use their recess time to correct them. It might give students feeling to be careful and learn from their mistakes by not doing any mistakes anymore after this. Students also can understand that it’s not only about complete the homework, but answer in correct way is the most important.





4 comments:

  1. Assalamualaikum and hi Umi. I had read your Reflection 2 about the teaching pedagogies that you choose to apply it when you be a Mathematics teacher in the future. I do agree with your choices.

    Firstly, direct instruction is basic method that need to apply in Mathematics subject because students cannot learn new things by their own. Teacher play an important role as instructor so that students will not do mistakes. As we all know, to solve question there are formula that need apply step by step. So, if students miss out a step or make mistakes at the beginning step it will affect the last answer. Definitely we as teacher, if possible we want to avoid this thing from happen. Secondly, homework and practice. Mathematics need a lot of practice in order to make students remember it. It also help students sharpen their memory. Lastly, reinforcing effort. I do agree with you Umi about applying reward and punishment system. I am not saying that a teacher should be cruel or what but we must strict in order to make students more discipline in other words is shape their behavior also in term of finish the tasks given punctually or might be put more effort to do the tasks given correctly. 

    So, that's all from me. Happy to know the teaching methods that you prefer. I cannot wait for next update. See you then, Umi. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaikumsalam Annurah. Thank you for agreeing with me. I believe mathematics need these three teaching methods to develop the most productive and effective students in the future. Saying about punishment, I agree with you. When we talk about punishment, we are not talking about cruel punishment such as beating, scolding and humiliating. But punishment here might be something that can give them motivation and at the same time they won't repeat that mistake again. Maybe give them extra exercise sort of right?
      Happy to know you agree with me annurah. See you next time :)

      Delete
  2. hi umi.. nice entry. i know many new information there.. i m very attract with your homework and practices method. it is because i thought it is not pedagogy method. why do you think homework and practices are great to apply in pedagogy method? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi madihah. Basically homework and practice method is really important in teaching method. besides that, we can enhance their understanding in term of the topic that we discussed in the class. From homework and exercise etc, teacher can evaluate the students achievement and if there are certain students could not do it well, teacher can find another way to improve their understanding. I believe it is the best way to identify which students can go well and which students go nowhere. I hope you can understand what i am trying to explain here. Thank you for giving your feedback towards my blog. Nice to see you. :)

      Delete